Saturday, October 3, 2009

Getting back to normal

We've got an ache under the scalp... probably planning on some Advil in a bit... unless I go back to bed. I hear this "sleeping" this is popular, and helps both with healing and weight loss. Might need that soon. Didn't walk yesterday because the body was aching and exhausted (work function until 9:30, working on an idea for work until midnight, back up at 5:30am to work on the idea, worked a 10 hour day... and I was actually confused as to why I was tired when 8pm rolled around). Kept it low-key on the food front for the most part, but my new big thing on the road to recover is figuring out just how much I can do to get back to normal.

Now, this is the holiday of Sukkot, and while I'll be in Synagogue this weekend, I won't try anything foolish - like lifting a Torah or anything of that nature. There are some things that have been done for me (mainly by mom or my brother) that I'd like to try out myself again... that I've been worried about them coming over to "check on me" and yelling at me for trying. With my parents out of town for the weekend and my brother full of plans, I finally get to say, "I'm 31, it's my house, I am allowed to take out my own blasted garbage!" Yes, seriously... taking out the garbage. It's less than 10lbs, so I'll be doing that today, along with some vacuuming (again - light enough) and attempting to clean my bath tub. The sink and toilet have been easy enough, but anyone who has ever cleaned a tub knows that there is a lot more vigorous scrubbing to be done, while in a bent position. Today, we find out if I've recovered enough for something like that.

I re-read that last line thrice... re-wrote it twice, then decided to change it back to the original. It actually makes a solid point, and one that my brother tried to hammer home to me. After his hernia surgery, he explained, there were a lot of little and simple things that just took him a while to be able to do again. Simple, mundane things... and as he points out, it wasn't nearly as big of a deal as my procedure. The hardest part about all of this hasn't been "how far/fast can I walk" or getting used to driving, or how long can I sit for. I expected those, and prepared myself for it. The real distressing points have come in the form of "I can't iron my shirts" or "can't finish sanding and painting the trim" or even "sorry guys, I can't go out and play guitar yet because I can't stand that long with an instrument around my neck." Picking up my cousins, I knew, would be something I'd need to do without for a couple of months. Picking up my amp wasn't something that I had accounted for. Don't get me wrong: best thing I ever did was get this taken care of, but for a guy who is used to doing a lot of things for other people, having to let things be done for me is tough to swallow.

This time next year, however, I will be in such a great mood. Able to do things again, and no pain? Awesome. (No, not "like a hot dog") Planning to even run a 5K next spring. Surgeon said he had the same procedure, was able to run the NYC Marathon. I see no reason that I can't go 3.1 ones at a jog 7 months from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment