Thursday, June 11, 2009

The New Pepsi

Interesting item from yesterday. I was at a friend's house last night and they had the new Throwback Pepsi. Essentially, isn't sweetened with high fructose corn syrup like other sodas, it actually goes back and uses real sugar. From what I gathered, the concept is to create a healthier Pepsi, with a "throwback" taste. We all remember what happened with New Coke (and if you're too young, click on the link and read the article). It was a flat out disaster. People hated it. Why? Hey, new products are good, but wholesale change in simple items... well, we're humans, we don't dig that.

I have another issue with it. I kind of LIKE the flavor of High Fructose Corn Syrup! Alright, maybe not exactly. There is no way that I can pick it out of a lineup. Snapple gave it the boot as well, and I have to admit that I might not want to drink Snapple anymore. See, I'm a tea drinker (no coffee, thanks though), and I only use real sugar in my house these days because it's what my roommate bought, and I feel like it would be a waste of money to maintain two sweeteners in the house at one time (plus the space in the cupboard is limited. Hey, I like to cook). In the diner, I'm a sweet n low man. Don't have the pink stuff, get me an Equal or Splenda. What can I say, Sugar just doesn't do it for me. I like the artificial sweeteners. Even if they are bad for you.

That reminds me of the funniest part of that Snapple article I just handed you. They depict this as something that "health conscious moms" don't like. Now, a little bit of anything won't negatively effect your health, unless you have an allergy. So, what about a lot of the HFCS? Honestly, if you are giving your kids soda and Snapple regularly, I'm fairly certain that you lose the mantle of "health conscious" mom. At the moment, I'm boycotting the stuff, even if it is the best stuff on Earth, and I'll be happy to see Pepsi go back to normal (not that I drink nearly enough soda to truly care). Has anyone out there in webby land had either? Drop a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment