Sunday, May 24, 2009

So So Super

I am anxiously awaiting the release of the new album from Chickenfoot. Oh yes, absolutely, Chickenfoot is the new super group, with a great video montage and music sample on their website. Joe Satriani, Sammy Hagar Michael Anthony and Chad Smith. That would be the former lead singer and bassist of Van Halen, the former Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer, and one of the most amazing guitarists in history - one of the few true guitar heroes alive.

I'll even throw you an interview with front man Sammy Hagar:


It got me to thinking about so called super groups, and what some of the more recent to come into existence did. Velvet Revolver had a lot of hype when they first came out, but had a lead singer who couldn't keep his nose clean (just like his issues with Stone Temple Pilots). Coverdale-Page was something of a super duo. Mr. Big was supposed to be super, but despite the hype, never quite made the huge mark that was thought.

As huge of a music geek that I am, I always find it interesting to think about the super group concept. Picking out the best of all time is fairly easy - Cream is clearly the greatest musician mashup ever conceived. Eric Clapton's smooth riffs, Jack Bruce's moving bass and dulcet tones, and the sheer power of Ginger Baker on the drums. Without any argument, Cream was the tops.

And yet, in the same way that I have sat around trying to fantasy cast certain movies (from comic book inspired films to novels that I have read - we cast Brave New World as an English class when I was in 9th grade), I contemplate my own personal super group mash up. I like to think it would look something like this:

Lead Guitar - Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Bass - Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
Lead Vocals - Chad Kroeger (Nickelback)
Drums - Tre Cool (Green Day)

That right there is a full motion, power packed, fast paced, full bodied sound that would actually produce an interesting record. Never going to happen, granted, but hey, a fella can wish! Leave me a comment, tell me who you would mix up as your super group... or just what bands you actually think are fairly super these days! Perhaps tying the lead singer of Wolfmother (brand new song on their website, incidentally) in with the living members of Led Zep, along with Jason Bonham in for his dad? Might make for an interesting mix there, as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment