Friday, May 29, 2009

How's Your Economy?

Too many newscasts, too many articles, too many dissenting opinions, so I'm a bit more curious on how the economy is locally. About an hour and a half ago, I bumped into one of my clients on the street. He owns a restaurant, and eating out is something that a lot of people cut back on when they don't have money. I was curious, but kept my tone fairly even, so as not to be disrespectful.

"So," I asked after the pleasantries were out of the way, "how is business?"
"Oh wow, I'm really busy," he answered, "busy all the time."

Not quite what I expected to hear. Then again, I stopped in for lunch at another client's place yesterday while I was on the road. The main waitress knows my face by now, so I got a smile and an apology. "I'm really not sure where I can put you - we're packed today! I could seat you at the counter, if you want." Mind you, they aren't a diner, she was just trying to find any place to cram me. It was about ten past noon and every table in the dining room, which isn't at all small, was filled.

I walked into the grocery store the other night, and it was jammed... and a lot of the items weren't basic necessities stuff into the overflowing carts that nearly hit me as I wandered through the store. The bowling alley parking lot near my house has been overflowing as of late. The diner was packed last night at 9:30.

Listen, I'm not saying that the crisis has come to a complete halt, but I think that the time for doom and gloom has at least come to an end. People have had enough of fear, had enough of hiding, and have decided to get outside into the (sometimes) beautiful weather, go grab a bite to eat, a drink at the local bar, stock up on good for bbq-ing, and everything else that they usually do this time of year. No, houses aren't being bought at record rates, nor cars, but that's got a lot more to do with people not being able to get loans unless they have good credit. Novel concept.

Do yourself, and your economy, a favor. Go out this weekend and see a movie at a local theater (if you have one - I know Lowes and Hoyts are sadly overbearing). Go get a few friends together and have a cookout, and treat yourself to the good meat, or the good beer - or both. Go to a local watering hole where a band is playing, and pay the cover charge. Go out to eat. Buy a new book. Heck, buy a newspaper!

I'll comment on GM and the Detroit issues later. For now, forget those three companies that did themselves in, and start enjoying life again. Your enjoyment, after all, is the key to fixing the economy - and I'm talking to you, my European readers, as well!

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't have said it better myself :)
    Julia Catherine

    ReplyDelete